Friday, July 9, 2010

My Taco de lengua project.














It turns out that beef tongue is not something that most grocery stores carry. I checked out Kings Red and White Market on Roxboro Rd in Durham and they did not have any on display. I did not inquire about it because I wanted to be able to just walk in some place and pick up some tongue. I know that doesn't sound quite right, but nobody said I was right. I bought my tongue at Compare Foods on Avondale Dr. what a cool store. Anyway back to the Tongue. I had a choice between frozen and fresh I chose the fresh. It was about three pounds and cost about $12.00.

As suggested by several recipes I cooked my tongue with various aromatics and water for three or four hours. I used the following for my poaching liquid
  • 4 Shallots sliced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper corns
  • 2 small celery stalks
  • 1 medium carrot slice on a bias
  • 20 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • A few stalks of parsley
  • 1 small jalapeno chili split in half
  • 2 Thai chilies or cayenne chilies split

After cooking the tongue I remove it from the poaching liquid and allowed it to cool. After cooling I peeled the outer rubbery skin.


I strained the liquid and reserved it to store the tongue over night. I trimmed and removed the section of mussel as described in the previous article I posted. I figured if that persons mom did that then who am I to argue with what is probably generations of know how.

Check back to see the finish product. I must admit that this is one of the strangest things I have ever chose to cook. I am really hoping that it will taste good. It smelled incredible as it poached.

No comments:

Post a Comment